Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Happy Anniversary Baby, Got you on My Mind

As we celebrate the 5th Anniversary of the Preemptive Invasion of the Sovereign Nation and what may be the biggest foreign policy blunder in our nation's history for a myriad of ever changing reasons,

I am reminded of the cost to our nation,
I am reminded of the cost to its standing throughout the world,
I am reminded of the cost to its unity,
I am reminded of the cost to its financial security,
I am reminded of the cost of oil today vs. 5 years ago,
I am reminded of the cost to its servicemen and women and their families,
I am reminded of the cost to its undermanned Veterans services arena,
I am reminded of the cost to the military and its leadership,
I am reminded of the cost to our pocketbooks now and for generations,
I am reminded of the cost to our children and grandchildren paying for this War,
and I am reminded of the cost to our national psyche and understanding of what America means.

I am also reminded of the cost to Iraq.
I am reminded of the deaths of tens (and probably hundreds) of thousands of innocent Iraqis, even more than under the brutal dictatorship of Saddam,
I am reminded of the cost to the millions displaced,
I am reminded of the ethnic and religious strife and warring brought on their nation,
I am reminded of the emboldening of Iran,
I am reminded of the addition of thousands of extremists in a nation with very few (and even more throughout the world brought into the fold due to our invasion).

I am saddened that Americans did not do their due diligence and believed a narrative based upon desired outcome instead of facts on the ground.
I am saddened that we did not expect more of our leadership 5+ years ago.
I am saddened that we as Americans have not demanded more accountability from our Administration and Congressional leaders.
I am saddened that the administration did not listen to its military leadership.
I am saddened that we have bought into stereotypes regarding a nation, its people, its religions and its civilization without walking a mile in their shoe (as Jesus would demand).
I am saddened that Christianity has been tainted, not by its own message, but by its relationship to America and America's co-opting of it for another agenda.
I am saddened that much of the Religious Leadership in America finds patriotism and citizenship in an earthly kingdom a higher calling than to the message of Jesus.
I am saddened that there are many more terrorists and America-haters today than there were 5 years ago.
I am saddened that my children will grow up in a world in which their nation is more vulnerable and hated more because of the leadership of my generation.
I am even saddened that America's military was not allowed to focus its energies where its attackers lived and still live today.

I am saddened that the past 5 years have proven many of my worst fears 5 years ago correct. I am saddened I was not wrong (I really wanted to be wrong on this).

I must say that I expected more of us... all of us.

Happy Anniversary, baby.

No comments: