Friday, July 08, 2005

Belated 4th of July thoughts

Since I have not been surfing much lately, you may have seen these, but here are a few interesting things I have seen today on the web.

From Christianity Today,

George W. Bush is not Lord. The Declaration of Independence is not an infallible
guide to Christian faith and practice. Nor is the U.S. Constitution, nor the
U.N. Universal Declaration on Human Rights. "Original intent" of America's
founders is not the hermeneutical key that will guarantee national
righteousness. The American flag is not the Cross. The Pledge of Allegiance
is not the Creed. "God Bless America" is not the Doxology.

Of course I would like this, huh. Something to remember around our 4th of July holidays. Read the rest of the excellent article here.
_______________________________

Also, at Jesus Politics, I saw this...

A Christian that calls himself conservative lacks faithfulness in God's abundant
love. A Christian who calls himself a liberal lays claim to worldly rights that
don't exist in God's Kingdom. A Christian who calls himself a Democrat holds the
false belief that the created are greater that the Creator. And those that call
themselves Republicans worship two masters, money and the American flag, and
because of that hate the true Master, God.


It may be a bit simplistic, but the sentiment is quite truthful.
___________________________

Personally I saw something that offended me last week. As you may know, I am not easily offended. However, in the Redneck Hamptons (my title, since Redneck Riviera is taken), I was privy to a bit of Patriotic Anti-Americanism.

Now, I am not the most patriotic guy in the room (even if I am alone), but I must say that Confederate Flags on the 4th of July strike me as a bit disingenuous. I found it odd to see so many confederate flags flying next to or instead of American flags throughout South Carolina (on trucks, cars, homes, beach homes, golf carts, hats, etc.). Usually I don't think much of it. But, around the 4th I thought, do these people realize they are celebrating the founding of a country and the desire for its demise at once?

Bizarre.
_________________

By the way, after watching the news lately, I am offering my instant thoughts on politicians, based upon the past couple of weeks (these are not comprehensive marks, but relate directly to the issues at hand)...

George W. Bush- Thumbs Up (independent thinking regarding a judicial nominee- showing cahunas when pressured by the religious right regarding the AG as a potential nominee- but, don't worry I still am flabbergasted by his lack of understanding of the simple complexities of the English language). I may not agree with Bush on his nominee (probably won't). In fact, I could agree with the FRC on the decision. However, I am impressed with his independence and think the RR may be seeing the fruit of overstepping its influence with its rhetoric and getting into bed with a politician.

Karl Rove- Thumbs very far down, so far down that they are level with his ethical understanding (his remarks regarding liberals and conservatives and their reaction to 9-11 were insulting, demeaning, unpatriotic, simplistic, untruthful, despicable and idiotic. My present regard for this man is lower than it should be for a fellow human. God, please help me to feel compassion and understanding for such a mean man.).

Tony Blair- Thumbs Up (I have liked the way he is handling the G8 summit, the situation in Africa and the bombing of his beloved city. The British handle such situations in such a resilient and mature manner. I know it is years of bombings, raids, terrorists and uprisings, but I am continuously impressed with their resolve.).

Tom Cruise- Thumbs... oh, who cares.

Anyway, none of this matters.

No comments: