Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Tampa woos Republicans for 2008 Convention

While I am not a Republican, I would usually support its convention in my city. I think the idea of either party holding its useless self- gratifying pep rally in my town would add to the comedic value of the event. I like the idea of watching protesters and partisans colliding.

Plus, I think it could highlight Tampa and bring more tourism.

However, there are a number of reasons to say no to such an event starting with a high price tag of approximately $22 million for the city. Also, there are not enough hotels downtown so rich Republicans will become angry at our fair city, or they will tie up traffic for hours traveling to our outlying hotels.

This said, there is one simple reason it would be absolutely inconceivable for them to hold the convention in Tampa. It is at the height of Hurricane Season and we are on the Gulf Coast. If they do not believe in Global Warming and think this is a cycle, don't they think it could cycle here?

The event will be from September 1-4, 2008. Katrina hit the Gulf Coast on August 29. Of course, the idea of such a major event canceled because of a weather related event warms the dark and depraved inner being of my cold, black heart (as long as the hurricane does not hit here).

I will play prophet here...

if the Republicans choose Tampa for their Convention in 2008, they will lose the presidency by proving their incompetence. I can only hope the Democrats pick Miami, Charleston or New Orleans (since they would never leave Bourbon Street) to complete the high comedy.

No comments: