Friday, January 30, 2009

Cheap Music Recs from your National Music Coordinator

Amazon's Friday Deals have stunk the past couple of weeks, but we have a couple of doozies this week to make up for it.

First we have Radiohead's The Best of. While it was released after they left the company and they had nothing to do with the selections, it is a good collection for any readers of this blog that do not own any Radiohead (and I must increase my filters, because I have tried to make sure those that do not listen to Radiohead have no access to this blog). While I cannot imagine a fan of real music not owning Radiohead, I will still recommend this. So, buy this album and then go back and buy every single other album by Radiohead because all of these songs are so much better in context, but where can you find 17 perfect songs for only $5? Click here.

By the way, if you are wondering which Radiohead albums you need to own, in order, I can help.

1. The Bends
2. OK Computer
3. In Rainbows
4. Kid A
5. Hail to the Thief
6. Eraser by Thom Yorke
7. Amnesiac
8. Pablo Honey
9. I Might Be Wrong
10. My Iron Lung (EP) from England
11. Itch (EP)
12. Airbag/ How Am I Driving? (EP)
13. No Surprises/ Running from Demons (EP)
14. 2plus2isfive (EP)
15. Thom Yorke Live at the Bridge School
_________________________________________________________

Next up, for only $5.00 you can get Depeche Mode's 1990 borderline masterpiece Violator, which many consider their high water mark. It does have Personal Jesus, Enjoy the Silence and Policy of Truth. This brings me back to my college days hard. While it may be their best and certainly has a better top 3 than any other DM album, I think Music for the Masses is their most cohesive. This version of Violator is remastered digitally and reminds you why every other band out there wants to sound like DM and the Cure.
___________________________________________________________

Also, Velvet Underground's most accessible and 3rd best album, Loaded is only $6.97.

No comments: