- Hellboy was nominated for Makeup. Of course it was. To forget that would be wrong. but, how did they miss out on this very good flick by a great director for Visual Effects, Sound Mixing or Sound Editing. Heck, I think it could have been seriously considered for Art Direction and Costumes. Heck, I would not have been surprised if it was considered for Editing or Cinematography (a stretch). Visually it was the most stunning and impressive film of the year. But, I love the director.
- Only 3 songs nominated? Was it the year that bad?
- I think Horton Hears a Who should have been in contention ahead of Bolt. But, there were 4 solid choices this year. Nominated all of them. Neither of those flicks are in the league of Kung Fu Panda and Wall-E, but they were better than most movies made for adult audiences (you can tell I have small kids, huh).
- I guess the backlash against Clint Eastwood has begun.
- Which half of the Brad Pitt/ Angelina Jolie partnership is more likely to carry home and Oscar? Neither.
- I had heard great things about Revolutionary Road and so-so things about The Reader. I guess Oscar feels differently.
- I hope Christopher Nolan was the #6 guy on the director list. Ron Howard, again? Well, Coldplay gets Grammys, so Ronnie Boy gets Oscars. No justice.
- 3 visionary Auteurs were nominated for direction. that is always a good thing in the midst of Hollywood's lack of artistry (see Ron Howard)- Fincher, Van Sant and Boyle are among the edgiest, most original mainstream directors working today.
That is all for now.