Friday, April 03, 2009

Good music notes

Music updates:

I will finish Emergent Idol next week, counting down the Top 3. Based upon who I have selected (U2 is off the table), anyone have any ideas of the Top 3? I would give a prize to the person that guesses correctly, but I have nothing of value. I know, you can have a signed copy of my first book. However, you should give me some forwarding addresses, including the nursing home/ hospice you plan on finishing your days at.
_____________________________________________________

It is a weak Friday at Amazon. The only $5 deal worthwhile is Prince's Controversy. It is not in his top 5, but does give you an idea of what would come next (pre-1999). I remember hearing it at a friend's house. We closed the door to his bedroom because we did not want his parents to hear the lyrics.

KT Tunstall is okay and her second album, Drastic Fantastic is $5 if you are into that.

The real deal of the day is Neko Case's wonderful alt-country album Fox Confessor Brings the Flood for only $2.99. If you are a fan of Lucinda Williams, Loretta Lynn, Jenny Lewis, Gillian Welch or Emmylou Harris you must have this album. One listen to Margaret vs. Pauline and you will be hooked. She is getting lots of praise for her latest solid album, but this is slightly better.
________________________________________________

Kristi and I have a great date night planned for tonight, Ben Folds in a fairly intimate setting. It should be a blast. This will be my 5th show and Kristi's 2nd. Our 1st full fledged date night after our first child's birth was a Ben Folds show in Boston (he recorded and filmed much of his live album there).

Lastly, U2 tix go on sale Monday. We are still deciding what to do. Tickets are between $30 (for crap) and $250. The $55 tickets are for general admission on the floor. I would like to do that, even if I am too old and decrepit to stand for a bunch of hours in a stadium. I attended the Tampa Stadium show in December 1988 and stood on the floor, so I think I want to relived my early days and do it again.

No comments: