Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Musical Confessions

Being the purveyor of fine music my entire life, people are usually taken aback by my honest love of some forms of pop music. Although I deeply love the deeply intricate music, I must say that I love a good pop song. The 3 greatest elements for music perfection are, according to Bob Mould: 1) intelligence, 2) power, and 3) melody. I would have to agree.

So, to lay it all on the table, I will begin to publicly admit some, less than "rock critic" leanings and loves. I will start with 2, which I expressed a few weeks ago to Dustin Bagby, another music snob.

1. Yes, I think Hanson has a Pet Sounds in them. But, I am not the only one. Remember these guys wrote Mmmm Bop as kids (what were you writing at 14). Their second album was quite good and had no teeny pop on it and they are only now coming into their own as musicians. I expect greatness from bands in their late twenties. Their time is coming.

Of course, this could have been derailed by a few things stacked against them.
a. they seem to be well balanced young men raised in a supportive loving environment
b. they seem to get along well with each other and with their parents (kiss of death for art)
c. No rumors of drugs and alcohol addiction

2. In case of a street fight with boy bands in tow, I would take New Kids on the Block and leave N 'Sync, Backstreet Boys, 98 degrees and the rest to everyone else. Unlike the pre-fab boy bands from Orlando (which has no mean streets), these guys grew up in the Dorchester section of Boston. I have a friend that was suspended from school with Joey and Donnie (elementary I think). Their music may have sucked, but they would have had the "right stuff" in a Bar Brawl.

Heck I think they could have taken NWA (c'mon, Dr. Dre was a rich suburban kid), Wu-Tang (too much time watching king fu, not enough time practicing) and G Unit (too much time fighting amongst themselves).

more later...

No comments: