Thursday, January 17, 2008

Overhyped, Overrated or Dissapointing Music from Last year

10. Josh Ritter- the Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter (still good, but Animal Years was light years ahead)

9. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club- Baby 81 (a step backward after Howl, one of my favorite albums ever)

8. Joseph Arthur- Let's Just Be (I am worried he is on a downward spiral)

7. Of Montreal- Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? (by all accounts I should love these guys. I love poppy music with psychedelic flourishes, but it is a bit pompous, although some songs are quite fun)

6. Lilly Allen- Alright, Still (a good album, but robs from M.I.A. a bit too much. I would rather listen to Amy Winehouse)

5. Kanye West- Graduation (after a perfect 1st album, each consecutive album is a bit less spectacular, not for lack of trying)

4. Peter, Jon and Bjorn- Writer's Block (boring "Grey's Anatomy" rock- or wimp rock, but better than The Fray. It is fine, but nothing special)

3. White Stripes- Icky Thump (some good songs but a little derivative and tired. I mean, I like Led Zep, but not THAT much)

2. Wilco- Sky Blue Sky (so, they are positive and returning to their roots. Big deal. If I want that, I will listen to older albums)

1. Rilo Kiley- Under the Blacklight (they are trying to hard. Where's the edge? I fin myself listening to jenny's solo album and older Rk albums instead of this "brilliant" new album)

Perpetual- Gun & Roses- Chinese Democracy (just release the dang thing, alright?)

another CD disappointed me this year, but since it was released by an old friend of mine (it is P&W), I am not mentioning it

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

RE: Joseph Arthur. Get back to me after you hear the NEW EP "Could We Survive" out on March 18th. I think your worries will be squashed.