Monday, October 06, 2008

Political Untouchables (don't bring a knife to a gunfight)

As the campaign season enters its final days and its truly mean season of desperation as we hear the names Wright, Rezco, Ayers, Keating, Wasilla Assembly, etc. I am reminded of 2 scenes from pop culture...

First we have the conversation between Sean Connery and Kevin Costner in the film The Untouchables about Elliot Ness and Al Capone. I imagine Obama and Axelrod having this conversation as they read that McCain has declared his campaigns intention to talk about Obama's "friends:"



Malone: You said you wanted to get Capone (McCain). Do you really wanna get him? You see what I'm saying is, what are you prepared to do?
Ness: Anything and everything in my power.
Malone: And *then* what are you prepared to do? If you open the can on these worms you must be prepared to go all the way because they're not gonna give up the fight until one of you is dead.
Ness: How do you do it then?
Malone: You wanna know how you do it? Here's how, they pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. That's the Chicago way, and that's how you get Capone (McCain)! Now do you want to do that? Are you ready to do that?
Ness: I have sworn to capture (beat) this man with all legal powers at my disposal and I will do so.
Malone: Well, the Lord hates a coward. Do you know what a blood oath is, Mr. Ness (Obama)?
Ness: Yes.
Malone: Good, 'cause you just took one.




substitute the names Schmidt and McCain if it suits your politics.



next up the other thing this campaign reminds me of (if I were a photoshopper I would superimpose candidates on actors).

No comments: