Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Best Books, part 1 (Best Memiors/ personal journalism)

I like the snarky memoir made popular the past few years by people like Chuck Klosterman. These books are part autobiography, part observation of the world surrounding them, part journalism and part postmodern distancing from the reality of the world you are engaging in (sounds like me). By the way, I have not yet read Sarah Vowell's latest tome. It would probably top the list.

The Top 5 I read this year are...

5. Farewell, My Subaru: An Epic Adventure in Local Living by Doug Fine (think it is easy being green?)
4. The New Christians by Tony Jones (Tony would never put himself here, but his book was like these to an extent)
3. Rock On by Dan Kennedy (reviewed by me here)
2. The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs (reviewed by me here)
1. The Great Derangement by Matt Taibbi (did not review it. What this guy will subject himself to for a story is mind blowing. It cannot fully be described and his Rolling Stone articles are only a taste).

No comments: