Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lent Books

I usually find a good book to read during Lent that helps me experience the season more fully. When in doubt as to what I should read this year, I usually revert to one of my old standbys. Here they are.

Reliving the Passion by Walter Wangerin- one of the great Christian writers of our day walks us through the last few days of Jesus' life as expressed by Mark's Gospel.

It is simple with about 2 pages per day, illuminating to one's own part in the story of Jesus' passion and giving ample room for meditation and response to the death and 
resurrection of Jesus.




Publishing and the Bruderhoff. Daily readings from C.S. Lewis, Nouwen, Yancy, Buechner, Updike, Willimon, etc. 

Split into 3 sections with longer and shorter essays (which allows much skippage and returnage), there are some powerfully succinct writings in this collection, a challenge to any Christian during Lent.



Any standbys you use?

No comments: