Thursday, July 29, 2010

3rd Album Theory (part 4, near greatness attained but not pantheon was shown by #3)

These artists did not hit complete stride until #4 or later (or we are waiting) with notable exceptions. They are GREAT artists and these are excellent albums, but not masterpieces. Therefore these artists are not transcendent/ pantheon artists. I compare these musicians to high level superstars in basketball (Stockton, Robinson, Malone, Shaq, Dr. J).

First of all, 3 that I am putting here with HUGE reservations. I want them on the Pantheon list, but will put them here for argument's sake:

R.E.M. - Fables of the Reconstruction (I am continually arguing with myself on this album. But, the formula decided they peaked on #4 & beyond, therefore they are not pantheon. It hurts to say it.)

The Replacements- Hootenanny (one of my pantheon bands, but I admit they may be a step below. But, man were the next 3 albums great! I was thinking of putting them down as an exception because I think they are pantheon.)

Outkast – Aquemini

Here are 2 that I am willing to revisit:

TV on the Radio – Dear Science

Frightened Rabbit- The Winter of Mixed Drinks (this frustrates me because this is a wonderful album, but not the masterpiece I had hoped would elevate them to future pantheon status. We could re-evaluate this album and find them on Mt Olympus. I hope so.)

Not quite Pantheon:

Jay Z- Vol. 2… Hard Knock Life

Public Enemy- Fear of a Black Planet (interesting case, because their masterpiece is album #2 and they never reached such heights again. But this is a very good LP))

Madonna- True Blue

Wilco- Summerteeth

Pearl Jam- Vitalogy

The Police- Zenyattà Mondatta

Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Nine Inch Nails- the Downward Spiral

Sigur Rós- ( )

Queen- Sheer Heart Attack

New Order- Low Life

Drive-by Truckers- Southern Rock Opera

Kiss- Dressed to Kill

ACDC- High Voltage

Tupac- Me Against the World (3rd solo- his 3rd album was w/ Thug Life)

Guns n’ Roses- Use Your illusion 1 and 2

Elton John- Tumbleweed Connection

Bright Eyes- Fevers and Mirrors

Roxy Music- Stranded

Lyle Lovett- Lyle Lovett and His Large Band

My Morning Jacket- It Still Moves (however, their first album was pretty raw and self made. If Z is considered their 3rd album proper, they may need to be considered for future pantheon status)

Muse- Absolution

Spoon- Girls Can Tell

Sting- the Soul Cages

Sufjan Stevens- Michigan

1 comment:

David Wierzbicki said...

Winter of Mixed Drinks felt like a denouement after the first two. It was a wrap up of all the issues dealt with in the first two. thus, it couldn't really attain the emotional highs (lows) of Midnight Organ Fight. It was beautiful and necessary, but incapable of stepping above.

I sense a complete recreation of Mr. Hutchison on whatever comes next.