Tuesday, August 29, 2006

my dysfunctional and codependent relationship

I feel as if I am in a seriously dysfunctional codependent relationship with an athletic team. The Cardinals this year keep treating me like the girl I am too connected to for a clean break up, yet I keep hoping she will go away so I can start off fresh next year with a better girlfriend.

But, every time I think the relationship is over, she comes back and does something wonderful. Then I get excited and she dumps all over me once more.

I just wish the Cardinals would fade into the oblivion of mediocrity for the season and leave me alone. I could focus on college football (and my other seriously flawed relationship with the Seminoles- who I stay with hoping to recreate the magic we had a few years back, but we really need to part way and admit the magic is gone) and work. I could get up in the morning and not obsessively look at box scores on ESPN (if I had not stayed up late the night before to do this).

But, no!

Every time I see a 3-6 game losing streak and the Reds sneak into a tie for First, something happens. The Cards play out of their minds for a few days and Cincy collapses, putting the Cards up by 3 once more.

AHHHH.

This is the single most frustrating baseball season I remember in quite some years (add to it my baseball mistress, the Red Sox and their collapse).

4 comments:

Mike Murrow said...

imagine how cade must feel about the Royals.

if the cards treat you like "the girl I am too connected to for a clean break up, yet I keep hoping she will go away so I can start off fresh next year with a better girlfriend."

then what does that make the royals to cade.

i fully gave up on the royals. well not fully. we are separated and seeing other people. i am seeing the Giants and they are seeing - well what ever it is you see when you are in last place.

cade said...

48-85. not even so much as a whiff of the playoffs in 21 years.

it's not a relationship. it's a joke.

i root for the jersey and not the players...which is good 'cause i don't know any of the players left on the "team."

is it november yet?

Anonymous said...

This is an email I sent the other day:
[I was perusing the Nationals website today and noticed that this coming Monday, Sept. 4th, there is a 1:00 game vs. the Cardinals. Now, as most everyone knows, I may have made a terrible mistake in giving myself to the Nationals, but, like any good abusive relationship, I keep crawling back. So anyone who wants to enable me, is welcome to join for a celebration of labor in lieu of work. There is also a Sunday game at 1PM that I could be convinced to attend. Tickets are $3 (there are perks to this, aka he really does love me), so I almost just bought 5 tickets and then offered them up, but I thought I might end up leaving someone out, etc., so, let me know within a few days if you are interested and if you know others that I neglected that want a piece of the action. I don't want my special section 532 tickets to sell out.

Hope to hear from some of you,
Linda "I was saving myself for the right time" McGreevy]

You're not the only one. Someone should write a book on this phenomenon.

g13 said...

they suck and we are suckers for believing that an ownership with george w. bush could ever produce a winner. i hope dewitt and co enjoy "baseball heaven" on earth, because they've got a lifetime in the hottest hell awaiting them.